Tuesday, April 25, 2017
F216 Supper 5:30
1.Approval of Agenda
2.Approval of Minutes March 27, 2017
a) VCTA Release Time
b) Program Management Policy *
c) Teacher Resources for Students with Special Needs**
d) Academic Council Committees
e) Academic Council: Bylaw 3
4.Reports & Announcements
A REMINDER: PLEASE CALL 7053 TO RESERVE A MEAL
*3. b)That Association Council recommend that the General Assembly ask departments to include the following points in the feedback that they send to the College regarding the proposed Program Management Policy and Procedures:
- Program committees are made up of teachers in the disciplines. Others may be invited when the program committee deems it necessary (article 4-1.02 a) of the Collective Agreement).
- It is up to program committees and the General Education Committee, in collaboration with the departments that they represent, to make any recommendations that they deem necessary (article 4-1.02 b) of the Collective Agreement).
- The word “leads” in the proposed policy should be replaced with “coordinates” to better reflect the Collective Agreement’s description of a coordinator as a peer and not a boss (article 4-1.02 d) of Collective Agreement).
- The approval of program-wide changes to pedagogical approaches should be removed from the roles and responsibilities of program committees since this is a departmental function (article 4-1.05, 2.13 of the Collective Agreement).
- It should be left up to program committees, in collaboration with their departments or disciplines, to decide when to meet so as to allow for timely consultation with departments (article 4-1.02 b) of the Collective Agreement).
- As the proposed annual revision cycle seems unrealistic, it should be left to program committees, in collaboration with their departments or disciplines, to determine the length of the revision cycle (article 4-1.02 b) of the Collective Agreement).
- Program committees should be able to decide upon their own criteria for evaluation rather than the proposed CEEC criteria (article 4-1.02 b) of the Collective Agreement).
- Departmental resources should not be cut if extra resources are needed for programs.
Whereas every department should have some resources to help students with special needs;
That Association Council recommends to the General Assembly that the General Assembly demand that the College set aside S024 resources so that no department is left without resources for teachers to help students with special needs.